What is the OEM Engineering Technology Traineeship?
Missed our OEM Engineering Traineeship Virtual Information event? Watch the highlights now!
Find out all the information you need about the Traineeship. Hear from past trainees and tutors about the course as well as the modules you will learn and application process.
This is a full time course, starting in September with 12 weeks work based learning in Combilift and 26 weeks classroom based learning in Monaghan Institute.
The Traineeship offers a solid understanding of all key skills required for a career in Engineering, namely machining, fitting, control systems, auto electrics, CAD and hydraulics.
- Auto Electricity
- Engineering Processes
- CAD (2D)
- Engineering Theory
- Lean Manufacturing
- Control Systems
- Engineering Drawings
- Health & Safety
“As the company continues to grow there are career opportunities in Combilift for the high-quality students who complete the traineeship. They receive an excellent blend of practical training and knowledge from the course which means they are job ready.”
– Martin McVicar, Managing Director, CombiLift
The course is fully funded by the European Support Fund so there are no course fees and students may be eligible for a bursary from Combilift or the DSP. Combilift also provides a toolkit for each trainee. A training allowance is paid to those in receipt of a Social Welfare Payment.
Other entitlements may include :
- Travel or Accommodation allowance
- Meal allowance
- or Access to the National Childcare Scheme
- For those not in receipt of a training allowance, Combilift will provide a bursary
Hear from our past students
- Had an interest in machinery and had experience in farming.
- Chose the Traineeship as it was close to home and inexpensive.
- Enjoyed the balance of theory and practical learning.
- Only a 9 month course so there is no commitment to a 3 to 4 year college degree.
- Offered a role in Combilift after the Traineeship in 2017 and has progressed his career in Combilift
- Ideal if you’re unsure what you want to do after School.
- Favourite module was Hydraulics and Engineering.
- Enjoyed being able put the theory into practical learning.
- Found the assignments challenging but rewarding.
- Offered a role in Combilift after the Traineeship in 2019 and has progressed his career in Combilift
Nofal, current Trainee 2020 – 2021
- Mature student that wanted a career change to Engineering and decided to apply for the OEM Engineering Traineeship.
- Worked in various departments across production.
- Found the workplace staff friendly and helpful.
- Hoping to secure employment in Combilift upon completion of the course or else progress to the OEM Apprenticeship.
Employment & Further Training Opportunities
On successful completion of this course, students may apply for employment or for the OEM Apprenticeship.
Successful graduates of the Traineeship will be given the opportunity to interview for vacancies within Combilift. Past trainees now work in a variety of roles including:
- Electrical Technicians
- Assembly Technicians
- Testing and PDI Technicians
- Facilities & Maintenance Technicians
- Service Engineers
- Lean & Quality Engineers
- Control Systems Engineers
They may also use the results from this course instead of Leaving Certificate results to apply through the CAO for entry to year one of a range of higher certificate and degree programmes at Institutes of Technology and Universities.
- Be 16+
- Have achieved Leaving Certificate or equivalent or a QQI Level 4 or relevant work experience.
- Achieved GCSEs, NVQ Level 2, BTEC or equivalent qualifications or relevant work experience.
Applications are also welcome from those in employment who are seeking to upskill or reskill in this industry. Individuals eligibility will be confirmed during the recruitment process.